Some of the most frequently overlooked victims of car accidents are pedestrian victims. Pedestrian victims are often struck or killed by a vehicle in urban areas where there is poor lighting or no good place to cross the road (i.e., no nearby intersection, crosswalk or pedestrian overpass). However, many pedestrians are also hit by cars in crosswalks and on sidewalks as well.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries In Ventura
When pedestrians are hit by moving vehicles, the injuries that are sustained can be very serious. While a person who is driving a vehicle has the car that surrounds them to protect them in an accident, pedestrians have little to no protection from the impact of a car. Pedestrians who are struck by cars suffer a wide array of injuries, including but not limited to:
- – Impact injuries to the legs and lower body when a vehicle runs into them;
- – Contusions, scratches, bruises and other impact-related injuries;
- – Broken bones, fractures, and internal organ damage due to sudden impact from a vehicle;
- – Head, neck and spinal injuries, often associated with being hit by a car or thrown by a car; and/or
- – In the worst cases, pedestrian victims die due to the injuries suffered from the car crashing into them.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Oxnard or Ventura County, contact a Ventura car accident attorney immediately, as there are number of issues that need to be handled quickly. While you focus on getting the medical care you need to make a recovery, your pedestrian accident attorney can get to work gathering evidence and building your personal injury case.
Insightful Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Taking a look at pedestrian accident statistics for California demonstrates just how frequently pedestrians are involved in accidents.
- – California overall. California is one of the top 10 states for pedestrian fatalities according to the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) annual Traffic Safety Facts report for 2013 (the most recent published data). There were 701 pedestrian fatalities that year, which is an increase from the previous year’s total of 612 pedestrian fatalities, according to the 2012 NHTSA report.
- – Ventura County. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety regarding pedestrian accident data for Ventura County, in 2012 there were 256 accidents involving pedestrians across Ventura County, 52 accidents involving pedestrians under the age of 15 years old, and 37 accidents involving pedestrians over the age of 65.
- – According to the California Office of Traffic Safety regarding Oxnard pedestrian accident data, in 2012 there were 85 accidents involving pedestrians in Oxnard, 23 accidents involving pedestrians under the age of 15 years old, and 8 accidents involving pedestrians over the age of 65.
Contact A Pedestrian Accident Attorney In Ventura
If you or someone you love was involved in a car crash as an injured pedestrian, you need to consult with a pedestrian accident attorney in Ventura straight away. The pedestrian lawyers of the Quirk Law Firm, LLP have handled many Ventura car crash cases and cases related to personal injury in Ventura and we are ready and available to assist you with your pedestrian accident case if possible. Contact us today at 805-650-7778.
This Blog Was Provided By:
Ventura, California 93003