While the most tragic of accidents are often those that occur on major roads and highways when drivers are traveling at high speeds, accidents also occur in parking garages with frequency. While these accidents are often less severe than those that occur on roads, parking lot accidents can still cause damage to the vehicle and injuries. If you are involved in an auto accident in a parking garage in Ventura, California or surrounding areas, here’s what you need to do:

Gather Information About the Other Driver

You should ask the driver for all of their information, which you will need when filing an insurance claim. This includes the driver’s driver’s license number, vehicle registration information, insurance policy type and number, and the make and model of the car. You should also ask the driver for their name and contact information so that you can get in touch with them in the future.

Report the Accident to the Police

While parking garages are private property, you should still report the accident to the police, especially if damages are serious and absolutely if someone is injured in the event. A police report can serve as a valuable type of evidence when filing a claim at a later date.

Document What Happened

It is very important that you document as much as you can about the auto accident, including what happened, what you were doing at the time of the parking lot car wreck, and whether or not there were any witnesses to the accident. If there were witnesses, ask them for their names and contact information, and get a brief statement right then and there.

You should also record any immediate injuries that you suffer, as well as future injuries (i.e. pain that develops in a few days, an inability to lift your grocery bags because of pain, etc.).

Seek Medical Care

If you have been injured in the parking lot accident, you should seek medical care. Because cars are not often traveling at high speeds in parking garages, you may not have broken bones or sustained other obvious and acute injuries, but could have very well sustained a whiplash or other soft tissue injury type.

File a Claim and Contact an Attorney

If your vehicle is in need of repair, or if you have suffered injuries and need to be compensated, you should file a claim with the insurance company as soon as possible after the crash. While your insurance will likely cover some damages depending upon your policy type, California maintains an at-fault insurance system, which means that if the other driver was responsible for the accident, their insurance policy should pay for your losses.

If an insurance company denies your claim, if your injuries are severe, or if you feel that you have been offered less than you deserve, you should contact an experienced lawyer to represent you during the claims process. At the Quirk Law Firm, personal injury attorney Trevor Quirk will work diligently on your behalf to improve your chances of getting the compensation that you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation: 805-650-7778.

This Blog Was Provided By:

Quirk Law Firm, LLP

4222 Market Street, Suite C
Ventura, California 93003

Phone: 805-650-7778