Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Oxnard, CA
When you have been injured while riding your motorcycle, it is crucial you get in touch with an Oxnard, CA motorcycle accident lawyer from Quirk Law Firm, LLP. Motorcycle accidents can happen in an instant but they can cost a lifetime of damage. It is vital that you get the medical and legal help you need following an accident because the number of damages you may have are likely high. Given the nature of motorcycle accidents, you may be suffering from a back injury, serious road rash, or even a traumatic brain injury. Call our office to see what we can do for you today.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
There are many ways to be injured on the road, but here are some of the top ways that motorcycle riders become injured.
- Head-on collisions. Unfortunately, most head-on collisions for motorcyclists are fatal. In fact, these types of accidents make up more than 50% of the fatalities that motorcycle riders suffer. With these accidents, it is more likely that both drivers are driving at higher speeds, thus it is harder to avoid once the trajectory is set and the high speed can cause serious injuries or death.
- Blind spots. It is crucial that anyone on the road maintains where their blindspots are and what vehicle might be there. If a driver is not paying attention to a motorcyclist next to them and attempts to change lanes, this could cause them to hit the motorcyclist or force the motorcyclist off the road.
- Getting “doored”. If you are driving on a slower street and a driver, in their parked car, opens their door on you, this can cause serious injuries. The person who was in the car should have been paying attention to their surroundings and can completely cut off motorcyclists by opening up their doors without checking. This can cause motorcyclists to crash into the door or to go flying off their motorcycles.
- Driving recklessly. If another car on the road is driving recklessly or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it can make it even harder for them to see the smaller profile of a motorcycle. When a car hits you while they were being reckless, this can cause devastating damage because they likely did not have the mental acuity to slow their vehicle down before impact.
Do I need legal assistance?
After being injured in a motorcycle crash, it is vitally important that you connect with a knowledgeable Oxnard, CA motorcycle accident lawyer about your rights and options under the law. All too often, motorcycle accident injury victims are under the impression that navigating the legal and financial aftermath of their crash scenarios will be easy enough that they can embrace a “DIY” approach. Unfortunately, this impression is misguided.
As the knowledgeable legal team at Quirk Law Firm, LLP can explain in greater detail, the law that governs motorcycle crashes and other personal injury scenarios is a complex and ever-evolving reality. Statistically speaking, self-represented injury victims only recover the compensation to which they are rightfully entitled on extraordinarily rare occasions. It just isn’t easy to navigate the inherent complexities of the legal system and the insurance claims process without professional legal assistance.
How can a lawyer help?
A dedicated Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer at our firm can handle all of the legal challenges you’re facing in the wake of your injurious crash. From negotiating a fair settlement with insurance claims adjusters to pursuing rightful compensation via a personal injury lawsuit, we can provide you with all the assistance and guidance you require while you focus your energy on healing and moving forward.
Especially if your injuries are significant, now is not the time to be “penny wise and pound foolish” when it comes to taking a “DIY” approach vs. engaging professional representation. Depending on the kind of injuries you’ve sustained, how they have affected your life, and how they’re likely to impact your circumstances moving forward, you may be entitled to significant compensation.
What is my case worth?
The value of your case is unique to your circumstances. Before your case can be accurately valued, the team at Quirk Law Firm, LLP will need to assess what caused your crash, whether you were partially responsible for your harm, the extent of your injuries, and how your harm is likely to affect your life moving forward.
Common damages awarded in motorcycle accident cases include both economic and non-economic compensation. Economic damages include objectively calculated losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, and lost earning capacity. By contrast, non-economic damages reimburse victims for subjective losses, like pain and suffering.
In either event, the value of your case will remain the same. But the amount of compensation that you’ll be eligible to pursue will be reduced if it is determined that you were partially to blame for your injurious circumstances.
What if I was partially to blame?
If you were partially at fault for your harm, your compensation award will be reduced proportionately to the degree of harm assigned to you. For example, if your harm has been valued at $100,000 and you re assigned 40% of the fault for your crash, you’ll be able to pursue $60,000 – not $100,000 – from other partially responsible parties. A skilled Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer at our firm can explain your unique case’s calculus to you when you meet with our team.
How long will I have to file a claim?
In the state of California, you will have two years to file a claim since the accident occurred. An Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer knows that it is crucial to your claim that you get medical attention immediately, both for the sake of your health and evidence for your claim.
Who can you turn to?
When you need legal help following your motorcycle accident, you can turn to our team. We understand the pain and devastation that being in a motorcycle accident can cause and are here for you when you need help. Reach out to Quirk Law Firm, LLP today to speak with our Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer.
Injuries You Might Sustain in a Motorcycle Accident
According to an Oxnard, CA motorcycle accident lawyer at our firm, motorcycle accidents can be some of the most devastating accidents on the road, and victims can often sustain serious and even life-threatening injuries. With more and more motorcyclists on the roads, it is important to understand the potential injuries that you may suffer in the event of an accident. Learn how these injuries can occur, their effects, and how they can be treated. Then, contact a lawyer at Quirk Law Firm, LLP. for help today.
While wearing a helmet can help protect your head from the impact of a crash, severe head injuries can still occur. Common head injuries from motorcycle accidents can include traumatic brain injury (TBI), skull fractures, and concussion:
- Traumatic brain injury is a very serious injury that can result in long-term disability and even death. Symptoms of TBI include confusion, memory problems, slurred speech, blurred vision, nausea, and more. Depending on the severity of the injury, treatment can range from rest and pain medications to surgery.
- Skull fractures occur when there is a break or crack in the skull bone. Skull fractures can range from minor to severe and can lead to complications such as hearing loss, facial paralysis, and difficulty speaking. Treatment may include medication or surgery to repair the fracture.
- Concussion is a milder form of traumatic brain injury that occurs when the brain is jostled inside the skull. Symptoms of a concussion include dizziness, nausea, confusion, and headaches. In most cases, rest is the best treatment for a concussion and symptoms should improve with time. If symptoms persist or worsen, it’s important to seek medical help right away.
No matter the severity of your injury, you should contact an Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer for help.
A rider may be thrown from their bike, which can cause bones to fracture or break. Injuries can range from fractures to compound fractures, and sometimes can require surgery or physical therapy to recover. The most common bones to break in a crash are ribs, collarbones, arms, and legs:
- A broken rib can be extremely painful, as well as make it difficult to breathe, and is one of the most common injuries in a motorcycle accident.
- A broken arm or leg can cause severe pain and difficulty moving the affected limb.
- Collarbone fractures can also occur due to the impact of the crash.
- Fractured vertebrae is another common injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. This can happen when the rider is thrown from the bike and impacts a hard surface, like the ground. This type of injury can cause numbness and paralysis and must be treated immediately by medical professionals.
It is important to wear protective gear when riding a motorcycle, such as a helmet, gloves, and padded clothing, as these can help protect you from serious injury in the event of an accident. If you have sustained a broken bone due to a motorcycle accident, it is essential to get legal help from an attorney. A lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering; contact an Oxnard motorcycle accident lawyer at Quirk Law Firm, LLP. today for help.